Sunday, June 28, 2009

Flash of Lighting and a Flashlight

Last Wednesday was rough for me. I had one of those headaches that just wouldn't go away no matter what I did. Finally at 10 pm, I had relief. Thursday I still did not feel quit up to par, but I went to work anyway, enduring until 1:30. I just wanting to lay down for a while. So that's what I did, drove home, parked the car, went in and laid down.

Then the rain came. John checked in on me when he got home, then went out on the porch and watched the storm. I was content to stay in bed for a little while longer. I eventually came down stairs and turned on the TV. Then I heard that old familiar noise. You know the one....the buzzzzz, crackle, buzzzzz of the transformer and then the lights go off. Oh well I thought, I join John on the porch. He told me how he watched the leaves fly off in troves from the tree across the street. "By the way", he said, "as it was pouring, I noticed that you left your car windows open so I closed them."

The rain passed and the lights where still off. I told John that I didn't feel good when I came home and didn't even think to close the windows, as I went to my car to see how wet it got. Oh my gosh!!!! There was about 1" on water on the floor, even in the cup holders. John got old towels and we started to clean up the mess. There was so much water.....then I remember the Shamwow's my parents gave us. What a life saver. It was amazing how much water they soak up. Unfortunately my Bible was soaked through about 1". So, now the car is somewhat dry and we finally decided to try Sonic to eat (in John's car). Upon returning home, I pulled out a book that I had been meaning to read. I sat in my wicker rocker on the front porch and started reading. Along about 9:35pm, the sun had set and it was getting hard to read, but the story was getting good. Oh well, there's nothing to do but go to bed.....prop up some pillows and get a flashlight and read.



I felt like a little kid who was suppose to be sleeping but just had to read. I finally turn the light off at about 11:30. I proud to say that I read 8 chapters. Makes me wonder if, just from time to time, I should just act like there's not electricity and just sit and read.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I love reading too, but sometimes it takes a storm or an interuption in life to make me slow down and do it. Life has a way of forcing us to stay busier than we need to be. I am glad you had fun being a kid again.